I have set myself a challenge: to change something in my life each week for a year, so I can
limit MY impact on the human and physical environment whilst living a regular life in the city.
Please help me by adding a comment with ideas and hints!

Sunday 20 May 2018

Curb the clutter

I have lived an entire lifetime since my last post.

1 year abroad,
1 house,
2 kids,

later...

Marie Kondo, the Minimalist movement and so many others rejecting materialism and looking to live simply have inspired me to shed possessions and seek a simpler more manageable life. To me that means constant trips to the op-shop to make donations (and regular posts on fb marketplace), always having a bag or box in the passageway ready to go, denying my natural tendencies of hoarding and buying AND encouraging my family.

BUT it is rather tricky...

Sometimes I do want  a n o t h e r  pair of shoes or book or or or and do not need it. And often my children are gifted toys, usually stuffed toys (ARG stuffed toys they are the WORST).

I have been particularly inspired by books about living simply and watching those who do it well. I am currently reading "On Pilgrimage" by Dorothy Day, she writes of her daily experiences on a farm with a back-to-basics lifestyle. Whilst I would love to live on a farm that is not possible (for now) and along with parenting 2 kids I work part time as a school teacher. Life is always slightly more hectic than I intend it to be. I thoroughly need to have less stuff. Not only do I breathe easier, I have less to clean, tidy and organise. Everyone wins.

Here are my 5 rules to help (myself) live more by having less

Give away whenever possible, whatever I can
Make do & mend
Shop fewer times a month (my hubby noticed a difference in our savings = WIN)
Buy good quality stuff in the first place
If it doesn't spark joy, well what's the point (Thanks Konmari)

What do you do to curb the clutter?

No comments:

Post a Comment