I have set myself a challenge: to change something in my life each week for a year, so I can
limit MY impact on the human and physical environment whilst living a regular life in the city.
Please help me by adding a comment with ideas and hints!

Friday 11 February 2011

Eating things from the garden is possibly the best foodie experience. I'm not quite on to snails yet but have begun eating from my collective family labours. A ravishing red radish, beautiful bountiful basil, fantastic figs... Check out the home-made pesto, substituted expensive pinenuts for mixed nuts and twas just as yummy.

The seed packets have loads of info about where/when/how to plant so easy to follow. Main efforts were getting the soil rich & ready, and the constant watering. But connecting with our green earth has been very enjoyable. Radishes were ready to start picking after4 weeks and yum just rinsed. The basil was great made into a pesto (just wizz the whole stalks&leaves with a handful of mixed nuts, olive oil & important garlic). These were grown from a seedling and can be propagated, just put the cut stalk in water for a week or so & it grows roots wohoo!

Still waiting for... carrots, lettuce and rocket - but have been stealing leaves to taste :)

3 comments:

  1. I really struggle with basil indoors - did you plant it outside?
    And preparing the soil is probably the thing that puts me off the most... what? how? how much?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my basil propagating on the kitchen windowsill but usually plant it outdoors, I will try my next one indoors and see if I can put up any tips.
    What is your soil like? I grabbed a couple bags of potting soil and enriched the soil that way. You may like to start a compost heap/worm farm. I also use an organic fertiliser (osmocote). Planter boxes have been easier to care for than planting straight into the garden bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber has revolutionised my life with her growing EDIBLE plants. I SO love just grabbing a bit of herbs & salad even though it isn't enough yet to supply the catering business. Though I tease you Ambertjie, you are really an inspiring woman who has gotten me being more environmentally friendly on quite a few levels. Keep up the good work!
    PS look in the cupboard under the workbench.....

    ReplyDelete